• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Flies Are Invading My House oh noes :(

#1 User is offline   Saia 

• Insight: 92
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:20 PM

Right now there are maybe 20 - 50 houseflies in random places around my house. It's really a troubling thing. They started coming a few days ago, and they only show up during the night, when they crash into lightbulbs and other glowing things.

Now, I tried to figure out where these flies are coming from, but I've had no luck. Even if I keep the windows shut, the flies somehow appear around 9:00 every night and then begin to go about their flying. A large number of the flies just stick around the window screens and don't really do anything. There are only 3 or 4 active flies at one point. When I swat at the lethargic window flies they die and then fall, unlike the other active flies, which fly around.

I know flies like food, so I did the dishes and cleaned the floor and everything. But that didn't do anything to keep them away. Despite the new cleanness of my house, the flies still show up at night. And no matter how many flies I kill, they still show up in the same numbers.
Right now a fly is trying to force itself into my monitor. This situation disturbs me. Etna seems to think I'm on acid, but I'm not. My landlord has acknowledged the flies but is busy fixing other things that have happened in other houses, around the same time as the start of the fly invasion.

Does anyone here know how I can get rid of these flies? I'm beginning to think that maybe an exorcism would be the best solution, however impractical it is. But mostly I'd like to see if anyone knows where they could be coming from. I'm serious about this, these flies are getting creepy and I'm not joking. :(

#2 User is offline   Niroshi 

• Sweet Mary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • DA Class:Rogue

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:22 PM

I'm suddenly reminded of Candyman, only with flies.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Timelock 

• I'm falling and I can't go up!
  • DA Class:priest

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:24 PM

I got it!
The amazing bug zapper!
Seizure Hampsters!

01010100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01101100 01101111 01100011 01101011~Timelock in binary

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

You can't out smart smart ass.

#4 User is offline   Cypher 

• In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:54 PM

timelock, on Jul 21 2004, 07:24 PM, said:

don't knock that thing, we have one..... it works..... o.O; but i live in australia, where like..... there are alot of bugs..... and stop your whineing...... i think i would rather have flies then nine of the ten most deadly snakes.....

This post has been edited by Cypher: 21 July 2004 - 06:54 PM

Posted Image
~Cypher The Fallen~

Aesica, on Oct 17 2004, 04:57 AM, said:

Agreed.  Having boobs irl would be so much more fun. :D

#5 User is offline   Alea Ishikawa 

• Insight: 99

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:13 PM

I'd say some lucky fly (or flies) found something rotted, laid some eggs, and now you have this problem.

Take out the trash, clean every inch of your house, shoo the things outside.

#6 User is offline   Cretheus 

• Silmaril's IRL Love Slave.
  • DA Class:Pure Gladiator

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:16 PM

Alea Ishikawa, on Jul 21 2004, 08:13 PM, said:

I'd say some lucky fly (or flies) found something rotted, laid some eggs, and now you have this problem.

Take out the trash, clean every inch of your house, shoo the things outside.

hes right, and you should probobly make sure ALL windows and doors are closed, and there are no vents or gaps open. If their in the walls then youll need to spray the place possibly.
135012/35000 Base Pure Gladiator. AB43
Posted Image
Botters = Scum

#7 User is offline   Timelock 

• I'm falling and I can't go up!
  • DA Class:priest

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:32 PM

Deyre, on Jul 21 2004, 10:16 PM, said:

hes right, and you should probobly make sure ALL windows and doors are closed, and there are no vents or gaps open. If their in the walls then youll need to spray the place possibly.

Alea is a she. :p
Seizure Hampsters!

01010100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01101100 01101111 01100011 01101011~Timelock in binary

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

You can't out smart smart ass.

#8 User is offline   SeoSinerer 

• Insight: 52-61
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:33 PM

x files

#9 User is offline   Yoshimitsu 

• Insight: 82-91
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:49 PM

Get a frog.
everyone knows frogs like flies right?

:kenshin2:
Unimpeded by words, silence, knowledge, or
ignorance, a fluent blade cuts cleanly.
This is the wisdom of warriors.

Suzume-no-kumo
(1434)

#10 User is offline   Dysin 

• hotter than a german redhead in a coma

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:43 PM

Take a look at the walls/roofing of your house. My guess is that they're near the lights that you turn on, and that the heat from the light is what sends them out. I've seen this happen at a friend's cabin. Flypaper would probably help.

This post has been edited by Dysin: 21 July 2004 - 10:43 PM

You don't pay a girl to have sex with you, you pay her to leave when you're done.
There's no such thing as a stupid question, only an inquisitive idiot.
Those guys totally deserved to get owned, they were camping the Imperial spawn point.

~get your satisfaction here~ (NO MORE POWER TOOLS FOR NOW (!) .

#11 User is offline   Neacal 

• Fendeilagh de Deo

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:16 AM

timelock, on Jul 21 2004, 06:24 PM, said:

Those things work.

But instead of buzzing, you would have the occational -pop- when one flies too close :p

Have you seen your neighbor's dog lately? Maybe it died and left a huge carcass for the flies to feast on, have sex in and lay eggs (in any random order). Flies are gross :(
~Neacal

"A man may imagine things that are false, but he can only understand things that are true, for if the things be false, the apprehension of them is not understanding." Isaac Newton

#12 User is offline   Nalea 

• Woot! finally got one....
  • DA Class:Pure Priestessy

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:44 AM

Yes Try Fly paper, and you can also get some bug spray from the local store that may be abl tohelp with the ones still in the walls or wherever they are commin from. Check Under the beds, in the closets, or any cracks and such for rotted food. Also spray up in the attack if you have one, Fly paper looks like hell, but it does work. There is also something you can do with setting a tray of something out, but I dunno whatthat was. We always used fly paper worked the best. and like I said, get somebug spray like raid or something. That kills them too. :D
*bouncy bouncy bouncy*

#13 User is offline   Noelle 

• junk food for the soul ♥
  • DA Class:GM Morrior & Priest, Wiest Bard - DA hiatus

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:52 AM

You can also buy a bug bomb. I think Raid makes them. You just open up all the cupboards, make sure all your food that's not in the fridge is sealed in plastic bags or something...it'll tell you on the package what to do ;p You'll have to leave over-night, and take any pets you have with you. But the bombs usually work.
Posted Image
sig&av artwork: kaze-hime.deviantart.com

#14 User is offline   Nalea 

• Woot! finally got one....
  • DA Class:Pure Priestessy

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:09 AM

AmelieDevi, on Jul 22 2004, 09:52 AM, said:

You can also buy a bug bomb. I think Raid makes them. You just open up all the cupboards, make sure all your food that's not in the fridge is sealed in plastic bags or something...it'll tell you on the package what to do ;p You'll have to leave over-night, and take any pets you have with you. But the bombs usually work.

Nah, you dont have to leave over night. I use them all the time. I dunno which one your using, but the longest Ive seen it is to keep all doors and windows locked and closed for three hours after setting off the bomb. Then open the windows and air out for a half hour before going back in. and its always best to make sure you wa. sh the dishes after you bomb. But yes they work well. :)
*bouncy bouncy bouncy*

#15 User is offline   Tab 

• Meh.

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:20 AM

My poor dog has flies all over him. Of course, he stinks seeing as how he hasn't had a bath in a few years, but they just keep comin'. I think they have laid eggs in his ear. . .

#16 User is offline   Saia 

• Insight: 92
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:37 PM

Alea Ishikawa, on Jul 21 2004, 11:13 PM, said:

That makes sense, but I think I would have noticed the flies when they were still little flies, and all of this happened pretty quickly.
There's no food out anymore, so I don't know why they're staying. I'm pretty sure that there might be something growing behind the sink though, which could explain it. I'll definately be trying that bug bomb thing within the next day or two, if I manage to find and get rid of the growing thing. :D

A few neighbors have been having problems with flies, too, so I guess it's just seasonal. Or yearly. Except that last summer it was spiders. :confused2:

i think i would rather have flies then nine of the ten most deadly snakes.....

Pssh, maybe those snakes can kill you, but they can't annoy you. They could bite you, and then you'd fall over in agony and probably die several hours later. That's not annoying, it's just painful and horrifying. Being annoyed is far worse than being dead.

I cry for your dog, Tabb.

#17 User is offline   DISCO 

• banana
  • Group: LICENSED ECONOMIST[LICENSED ECONOMIST]
  • DA Class::>

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:01 PM

This happened to me before ><

Suggestion: What I did is take raid and spray it in every corner of the house, open all the windows and turn on your central vents if you have any, let the toxic gas circulate through-out your house. And go outside and play or something.

Wash you're dishes and stuff afterwards, bug spray taste = blek
untzuntzuntzuntzuntz

#18 User is offline   Yoshimitsu 

• Insight: 82-91
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

If you get one of those bug zapper light things. Not only does it provide some light and gets rid of bugs, It also provides some fun. *Well if you like to watch bugs flying into the light and getting zapped. Then fall to the floor.*

:confused2:
Unimpeded by words, silence, knowledge, or
ignorance, a fluent blade cuts cleanly.
This is the wisdom of warriors.

Suzume-no-kumo
(1434)

#19 User is offline   Jessica 

• Pulling on a Line

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:02 PM

Tabb, on Jul 22 2004, 01:20 PM, said:

My poor dog has flies all over him. Of course, he stinks seeing as how he hasn't had a bath in a few years, but they just keep comin'. I think they have laid eggs in his ear. . .

That's outrageously cruel. Especially if your dog doesn't shed. ALL DOGS need to be bathed professionally AT LEAST every 6 months, if not more often. (Ours goes every 2-3.) Our other dog, he'd go more often, since he had hair, not fur. (Bearded Collie.)

The Bugs and uncleanliness bothers dogs just as much as it bothers humans. Leaving your pup dingy and dirty is really bad for it. It makes it unhealthy, and think about how immensly irritated you would be all the time with flies all over you.

As for Flies, my farmhouse had the same problem. Some fly paper, and my dog, really got rid of that problem. She enjoys eating bugs immensly, especially ones that irritate her. Although it's nasty when there's a wasp in the house, and she goes after that.

#20 User is offline   Green Fox 

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:02 AM

Tabb, on Jul 22 2004, 09:20 AM, said:

At least the vietnamese wont eat him when hes smelling like that

#21 User is offline   Dysin 

• hotter than a german redhead in a coma

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:10 AM

Green Fox, on Jul 23 2004, 01:02 AM, said:

Koreans might.
You don't pay a girl to have sex with you, you pay her to leave when you're done.
There's no such thing as a stupid question, only an inquisitive idiot.
Those guys totally deserved to get owned, they were camping the Imperial spawn point.

~get your satisfaction here~ (NO MORE POWER TOOLS FOR NOW (!) .

#22 User is offline   Neacal 

• Fendeilagh de Deo

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:30 AM

Saia, on Jul 22 2004, 04:37 PM, said:

A few neighbors have been having problems with flies, too, so I guess it's just seasonal. Or yearly. Except that last summer it was spiders. :confused2:

Perhaps all the spiders ate the flies last summer.
~Neacal

"A man may imagine things that are false, but he can only understand things that are true, for if the things be false, the apprehension of them is not understanding." Isaac Newton

#23 User is offline   Pojo5ama 

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:30 AM

Dogs in 3rd world countries have their ears eaten by flies while they're alive. They barely seem to notice... I'd reccomend letting loose several iguanas or other fly-eating things, or investing in indoor bug zappers.
I'm mentally incompetent and all of my posts should be disregarded, as all of them are pure BS.

#24 User is offline   Tab 

• Meh.

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:35 AM

Green Fox, on Jul 23 2004, 03:02 AM, said:

Oh, I know you have every intention to try and eat my dog. God forbid, Greenfox, should I see you on my property, remember that I have a rifle.

#25 User is offline   Cypher 

• In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:40 AM

Neacal, on Jul 23 2004, 01:30 AM, said:

Perhaps all the spiders ate the flies last summer.

I laugh at that, all these people kill HARMLESS spiders (huntsmens and such) then complain when there are alot of flies and mosquito's around.....
Posted Image
~Cypher The Fallen~

Aesica, on Oct 17 2004, 04:57 AM, said:

Agreed.  Having boobs irl would be so much more fun. :D

#26 User is offline   Aes 

• It puts the hotdog in the bun
  • Group: Admins[Administrator]
  • DA Class:Warlock/Free HK 4Meleez

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:45 AM

This topic is highly disturbing, and I can't decide which aspect of it is worse: Saia's house or Tabb's dog. :( For the dog, it'll probably be gross, but seriously, if you care about him, give him a good, thorough bath. :(
Change my picture

IM14 & I THINK im ready 4 a child & i hav the right guy to get me pregnant but he doesnt want to have 1 so is there anyway i can poke holes in his condoms with a needle without him knowing wut i did?

#27 User is offline   Irving 

• poker face
  • DA Class:dick juggler

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:05 AM

I kill spiders all the time. Since I live in California we don't get much any kind of wild life where we live, maybe a bird, or if you go down to the park you can spot a squirell if your lucky. Where I live must be the mildest place to live in the whole western hemisphere, the temperature never goes past 90, it never goes below 60, and we only have three seasons, Rainy, Foggy, Cloudy Clear :). The most abundant bug in my house is Flys though, we get them like once or twice a month.
]Shes the hottest woman in the world but she wears glasses because she is also the smartest woman in the world

#28 User is offline   Pojo5ama 

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:23 AM

Erk... it must be the season or something, because after reading this thread, I went to my kitchen to make some food, and there were loads of flies. They'd come in bunches of 3 and when I killed them all, more would come... they must have thought it was pretty funny, until they were beaten swiftly with a rolled up newspaper x_x
I'm mentally incompetent and all of my posts should be disregarded, as all of them are pure BS.

#29 User is offline   Selkhit 

• Do not want.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • DA Class:Whench

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:08 PM

Set out a small bowl of cider vinegar, on a kitchen counter. It sounds crazy, but it really works. Of course...if you don't like the smell of vinegar, I suppose this suggestion is moot.

If you leave the bowl out overnight, and change the vinegar daily, it should take care of your fly problem. Oh! Clean too! =P

-Sel
We had two bags of chips, seventy-five pellets of pez, five sheets of fruit roll-ups, a saltshaker half-full of pixy stix, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored gobstoppers, skittles, and m&ms... Also, a quart of pepsi, a quart of dew, a case of coke, a pint of Dr. Pepper, and two dozen cupcakes. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious junk collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me were the doritos. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a dorito binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. ~Cronus, "Fear and Loathing in Doritos"

#30 User is offline   vethor 

• Pepsi Cans n cat treats

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:13 PM

1 word abiogenesis
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic